Ways to Relax At Home
Life can feel extremely taxing and stressful. No matter what you’re experiencing, it’s normal to feel overwhelmed by life’s daily activities: from maintaining an active social life, going to work, and even completing basic chores around the house or grocery shopping! That’s why checking in with yourself and taking care of YOU is essential. Taking the time to relax will help you feel more at ease and have a positive outlook on life.
Spending time to relax doesn’t always mean pampering yourself at the most lavish spa in town. You can do so many things to relax at home that will still help you center yourself and mitigate some of your stress. The next time you have some time to yourself, consider incorporating some of these ways to relax at home:
- Deep Breathing. When in doubt, breathe it out. Breathing exercises are proven to effectively calm your mind and body, so it’s worth taking just a few minutes of the day to focus on your breathing and exhale some stress and anxiety. Sit or lay down in a comfortable position with your hands on your stomach, and slowly breathe in and out, feeling yourself exhaling with each breath. We recommend taking at least five deep breaths but feel free to do each breathing exercise until you feel calm.
- Mediate. Like deep breathing, you may want to spend a little time each day meditating to truly center your mind and body. Meditating forces you to focus solely on the things happening in the moment and not anything outside of that. For example, how fast or slow are you breathing? How does your body feel? What do you hear going on around you? Take note of what is happening around you and find peace in that very moment without trying to change anything about it.
- Exercise. Any exercise can help you release tension throughout your body, relieving you of both mental and physical stress. And, it doesn’t need to be heavy exercise. A 30-minute walk, a short bike ride, a yoga class, or even a dance party around the house is enough to help you relax!
- Massage. If exercise isn’t enough to help you release some tension, try giving yourself a body massage to target your particularly tense areas. Placing two tennis balls in a tube sock is enough to provide you with a pretty solid DIY deep tissue massage. Or, you can invest in an electric massage gun to help you get a great massage without hard work. You can even massage your face by applying moisturizer in slow circles on your face.
- Take a Bath. It may sound cliche, but take a warm bath to help center your energy. Set mood lighting with candles to create a calm ambiance, using scented candles to add a warm fragrance to the bath. You can even play calm, meditative music to help soothe your mind and body.
- Write. Are you worried or stressed about something particular in your life? Try writing your feelings down in a journal. Many people love journaling as it is an outlet to vent their thoughts and feelings. Unloading these thoughts, even just to yourself through pen and paper, can help take the weight off your shoulders, even if it’s just a little bit.
Salon James has a variety of professional salon and spa services for those in Baton Rouge and surrounding areas. Here you can choose from a range of salon services such as hair, nails, facials, makeup, and massages. We also have day spa packages available. Relax as we pamper you! Visit our website to book an appointment today or give us a call at (225) 636-2220.